Smyrna (DE), Emerging Operations Center – August, 28 at 11am. Main points mentioned by Gov. Markell during the conference call:
– Damages less than predicted.
– No reports of serious injuries or fatalities.
– 55,000 residences have lost power. Many of them still have no power yet.
– Shelters will remain open until no longer needed.
– Reclassified driving restrictions from Level II to Level I.
– “Still numerous roads that have debris,” said Governor Markell.
– Remove mandatory evacuation.
– Assesment of damages:
1) Restore power
2) Emergency systems
3) Reopen school and public buildings
– Kent General Hospital contacted DEMA in relation with a flood of 4 feet of water. DNREC solved the problem.
– 659-DEMA or helpline to report down trees or damages.
– There is a “Debris Removal Plan” by DelDOT to clear dibris from primary roads.
– “Deepest gratitude to the people who evacuated, emergency responders, volunteers who has assisted others, DEMA, DNREC, DELDOT, National Guard…,” Governor Markell added.
– Bridges over C&D Canal are opened as of this morning. Indian River Inlet bridge will remain close.
– Bussiness at the coastal areas can reopen.