This morning the U.S. Census Bureau just issued a new statement on modifying operations amidst COVID-19
In short, the Bureau will continue to monitor the coronavirus and make adjustments as needed to protect the health and safety of Census staff and partners, including the possibility of changing the data collection deadline of July 31, 2020 to ensure a complete and accurate count.
The Bureau’s message urges persons to utilize alternate methods of responding – online, phone (13 languages), or mail. House calls by Enumerators (Census takers) will be delayed.
Some of the adjustments include:
• Operations to make sure college students are counted
• Encouraging administrators of group housing to choose the best way to count their residents
• Working with service providers at emergency and transitional shelters, soup kitchens and regularly scheduled mobile food vans to adopt plans to count the populations they serve
• Delaying the start of the Mobile Questionnaire Assistance program from March 30 to April 13
• Delaying the Early Nonresponse Follow-up operation for college campuses