**UPDATE – Dover – The Department of Transportation (DelDOT) advises motorists that effective immediately The Circle in downtown Georgetown, and all roads one block out from The Circle, have been closed in preparation for Return Day events scheduled for Thursday, November 6, 2008. This earlier-than-expected closure is due to increased security procedures for the area.
Due to this closure, it is important for motorists to plan their route accordingly, since the closure of The Circle has an effect on thru-traffic for Routes 9, 404, and 18, north and south Bedford Street, and west and east Market Street.
In addition, on Thursday, November 6 at 6 a.m., portions of the following roads will be closed:
• Route 9, from east of Route 113 to Truck Route 9;
• Routes 404 and 18, from Route 113 to Truck Route 9.
And at 11 a.m., additional roads will close, including:
• Park Avenue from Wood Branch Road to South Bedford Street;
• South Bedford Street from Route 113 to Park Avenue.
Traffic is expected to be heavy in the early morning hours as parade participants and attendees make their way to the area. DelDOT encourages motorists to avoid this area if possible, or travel with caution if using Routes 113, 9, 404, and 18 during this time.
If motorists must visit Georgetown during these two days, they are advised to follow the posted detour routes as follows:
• The eastbound detour is Route 113 south to Speedway Road to Zoar Road to Route 30/Gravel Hill Road back to Routes 9, 404, and 18.
• The westbound detour is Truck Route 9/Park Avenue to Wood Branch Road to Speedway Road to Route 113 north back to Routes 9, 404, and 18.
All roads should reopen to traffic by 6 p.m. Thursday, November 6.