Date: Wednesday, June 23, 2010
Action Day?: Yes
Wednesday is an Air Quality Action Day in Delaware! Mostly sunny and very hot on Wednesday. Ozone concentrations will reach the Code Orange range across the state.
Hot weather continues on Thursday but strong winds and increasing clouds will improve air quality slightly. Moderate air quality is expected but a slight chance for Code Orange concentrations remains. Much less humid on Friday with moderate air quality.
Help Clean The Air Tips:
1. Ride DART First State. Don’t know what bus route to ride, or what time to be at the bus stop? Visit DART’s website at http://www.dartfirststate.com or call them at 1-800-652-DART in New Castle and Kent Counties, and 1-800-553-DART in Sussex County.
2. Carpool with friends and/or coworkers. To find a carpool partner or if you already ride the bus/train, and want to register for our Home Free Guarantee, call RideShare Delaware at 1-888-RIDE-MATCH or visit http://www.ridesharedelaware.org
3. Limit daytime driving and combine errands
4. When you must drive, try to avoid congested periods
5. Ride public transportation or carpool to work
6. Maintain your vehicle’s emission control equipment
7. Walk or ride a bicycle for short, easy trips
8. Postpone the use of gasoline-powered mowers until evening
9. Refuel your car in the evening – and don’t top off your tank
10. Avoid lighting your barbecue with starter fluid
11. Avoid prolonged idling and jackrabbit starts
12. Use latex rather than oil-based paints
Ground-level ozone is a real threat to our health because it reacts with sensitive lung tissue, causing harmful changes in breathing passages.
Children, the elderly and individuals with respiratory diseases are especially harmed by ozone. Even healthy individuals can be harmed if they attempt strenuous activity on days with high ozone…those days should be used for inside low physical stress activity.
REMEMBER, this may seem like a small contribution by you as an individual, but if we can get solid public involvement, working together we CAN make a real difference!